Japan - Nintendomination. That would be the word for what Nintendo has done to the Media Create software charts this week; every title in the top ten is on a Nintendo platform and seven of them are published by Nintendo/Pokemon.
It gets better (or worse if you're not working Nintendo systems right now). Seven of the top ten titles have sold more than half a million units, and four of those have already sold more than a million!
Just looking at the LTDs for the top ten this week is a mind-boggling affair: it represents over 10.4 MILLION units of software sold on Nintendo platforms, and all of them games that have been out for a year or less. That is staggering.
01. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Namco Bandai) 105,900 / NEW
02. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) 97,700 / 587,000
03. [NDS] Hoshi no Kirby: Ultra Super Deluxe (Nintendo) 94,500 / 629,400
04. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode (Nintendo) 63,100 / 341,700
05. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) 59,000 / NEW
06. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) 57,600 / 492,000
07. [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Pokémon) 57,500 / 2,066,300
08. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) 45,200 / 1,289,400
09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 43,000 / 2,916,900
10. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) 34,300 / 1,938,400
11. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami)
12. [PS2] Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World (Namco Bandai)
13. [NDS] Tamagotchi Star School (Namco Bandai)
14. [WII] Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat Wii (Nintendo)
15. [NDS] Chrono Trigger DS (Square Enix)
16. [WII] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Capcom) 24,100 / NEW
17. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (SCE)
18. [NDS] Tongariboushi and the 365 Days of Magic (Konami)
19. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom)
20. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
21. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
22. [PSP] Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin (KOEI)
23. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 3: Zenkoku Seiha (Spike)
24. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo)
25. [PSP] Gundam vs. Gundam (Namco Bandai)
26. [WII] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (SEGA)
27. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
28. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
29. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
30. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
Notes and questions for consumption:
1. Pokemon Platinum recently crossed 2 million.
2. Wii Fit is quickly closing in on 3 million sold.
3. Rhythm Tengoku Gold has not-so-quietly been one of the best selling games this year. Interesting counterpoint to Wii Music.
4. Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel will certainly pass 500k next week. Third in the series and almost guaranteed to get yet another sequel. If you were Level 5, would you attempt this formula on a different system like the Wii?
5. Wagamama Fashion looks like the next in line of offbeat hits for Nintendo. Between this and their other titles targeted towards the fairer sex, is there any question who owns that mindshare?
*please note that Famitsu charts are based on data one week older than this week's Media Create data, but for visual purposes function exactly the same.*